Bibliography and links
Jacob's performance historical context reading list
This is a list of texts important to the history and positionality of my work. It is a tradition of the European political epic theatre practice, New York downtown theatre, political music halls and critical, queer and feminist theory and practice. This line of thought is more focused on theatre than performance studies. It is undeniably white and European heavy. Also more men than women.
PLEASE CONTACT WITH WITH SUGGESTED READINGS. I am especially eager to hear about non-European itinerant or vernacular theatre practices, theatres of resistence or minority and other practices that happen outside the narratives of either "theatre as economy" or "performance studies as knowledge frame."
If you need any help finding the material, let me know and I can point you towards some sources.
- 2016, Kunst, Bojana. Artist at Work, Proximity of Art and Capitalism
- 2013, Grainger, R. Joan Littlewood and the De-Mystification of Acting
- 2011, Sifuentes, Guillermo Gómez-Peña and Roberto. Exercises for Rebel Artists
- 2008, Mumford, Meg. Bertolt Brecht
- 2007, Murray, Simon, and John Keefe. Physical Theatres: a Critical Introduction
- 2006, Holdsworth, Nadine. Joan Littlewood
- 2005, Aston, Elaine. Feminist Theatre Practice: a Handbook
- 2004, Maly, Tim. Notes on the Basics of Debate
- 2003, Taylor, Diana. The Archive and the Repertoire
- 2002, Wren, Jacob. Mistranslation, Bad Faith and Even Worse
- 2001, Bourriaud, Nicolas, Art Forum, and Bennett Simpson. Public Relations - Nicolas Bourriaud - Interview
- 2001, Bogart, Anne. A Director Prepares: Seven Essays on Art and Theatre
- 2001, Behan, Tom. Dario Fo : Revolutionary Theatre
- 1999, Lehmann, Hans-Thies. Postdramatic Theatre
- 1999, Etchells, Tim. Certain Fragments
- 1999, Arntzen, Knut Ove. Post-Mainstream as a Geocultural Dimension for Theatre
- 1998, Bourriaud, Nicolas. Relational Aesthetics - Glossary
- 1995, Fox, John. Exploring to Fulfil a Genuine Need
- 1995, Ehn, Erik. Stuffing for a Is Pillow: Dreamaturgy Recalled
- 1995, Delaney, Paul. Decolonization and the Minor Writer
- 1994, Ehn, Erik. Up Front a Gargle of Rats.
- 1994, Cixous, Hélène. Three Steps on the Ladder of Writing
- 1993, Ehn, Erik. Towards Big Cheap Theater
- 1992, Boal, Augusto. Games for Actors and Non-Actors
- 1989, Barker, Howard. From Arguments for a Theatre
- 1987, Banes, Sally. Choreographic Methods of the Judson Dance Theater
- 1986, Guattari, Félix, and Gilles Deleuze. Towards a Minor Literature in Kafka
- 1981, McGrath, John. A Good Night Out
- 1979, Boal, Augusto. Theatre of the Oppressed
- 1970, Littlewood, Joan. Joan Littlewood: Interviewed by Margaret Croyden.
- 1968, Kent, Corita and Cage, John. The Rules For Teachers and Students
- 1968, Brook, Peter. The Empty Space
- 1968, Benjamin, Walter. Illuminations
- 1966, Grotowski, Jerzy. Towards a Poor Theatre
- 1965, Sontag, Susan. Against Interpretation
- 1953, Brecht, Bertolt. Theatre Poems
- 1938, Brecht, Bertolt. Popularity and Realism
- 1935/1989, Benjamin, Walter. The Work of Art in the Age of Its Technological Reproducibility
- 1935, Benjamin, Walter. Understanding Brecht
- on youtube Jacob's Context Playlist with a variety of performances, talks and conversations.
- OK Radio Podcast A series of conversations between performance makers and Pavol Liska and Kelly Copper of Nature Theater of Oklahoma. US/World
- Artist U Artists U is a grassroots, artist-run platform for changing the working conditions of artists. USA
- Sarma - A great site of serious performance and dance writing. EU.
Online Current Events
- Exeunt Magazine UK
- Culturebot NYC
- Spider Web Show Canada
- Contemporary Performance USA/World