A few years ago I wrote a manifesto for Small Wooden Shoe in the form of 11 conversation starters.This blog seems like a place to have those conversations. The grand idea, then, is that I'll write a post about each one - unpacking, furthering or denying and re-imagining them. Please join in.
A Manifesto: 11 conversation starters for Small Wooden Shoe Jacob Zimmer. 04/07/06 (with thanks to Ame Henderson, Chad Dembski, Jacob Wren) Published in C: International Contemporary Art (Spring 2006, ed. Rosemary Heather)
1. There is no such thing as a clean start. Start from the mess and move towards something. Something that might be called truth.
2. Nothing is ruled out. Nothing ruled in. Not everything goes.
3. Waking up is evidence of hope. Artwork even more so.
4. It’s worth thinking about.
5. There is good and bad fun. Good fun is essential.
6. When doing something strange, it is best to be relaxed.
7. Lying is another word for imagination. The pursuit of the truth does not exclude lying, it requires it.
8. Not being able to do something is no excuse not to. How else will we learn?
9. The separation of emotion, body and intellect is destroying the world.
10. Have something to say. It’s possible to change your mind later.
11. What ever we do here tonight, we do it on purpose.